Monday, January 9, 2012

A few other recent reads

FRIEND OF MY YOUTH by Alice Munro.  This is an early collection of Alice Munro's short stories.  Munro is considered the best of North American short story writers.  If you have followed her in the "New Yorker" and enjoy her work you will enjoy this book as well.
STONE ARABIA by Dana Spiotta.  This book has been on the best seller list.  It is about the relationship between a brother and sister and follows their disfunctional progress through the 70s and 80s.  It is well written, I just wasn't into the characters.  I found them tiresome.
SONGS WITHOUT WORDS by Ann Packer.  This book held my interest because the writing was excellent.  It is about confronting loss and how it came between two friends.  I found it sad and was looking for a lighter read at the time, so didn't enjoy it as much as I might have.

No comments:

Post a Comment