Saturday, April 21, 2012

PRIME GREEN: REMEMBERING THE SIXTIES by Robert Stone (non-fic) 229pp

I picked up this book on the sale table in the Harvard Coop.  Robert Stone is a fine and excellent writer.  As the title declares, it is a memoir of Stone's adventures in the famous decade, and as you may imagine, Stone samples the sixties drug culture and meets the stoned and famous along the way.  The names are all there, Ken Kesey, Kerouac, Alpert, etc.  He begins his story in the late fifties when he was in the Navy patrolling the seas around Australia.  There he finds love, spends some time in Vietnam as a journalist, eventually moves back to the States, marries, lives in New Orleans, and travels across the country to New York.  Maybe I am just sixtied-out, but my interest flagged early on.  In the past ten years or so there have been many interesting memoirs of this time period, and having survived the decade myself, I find I am getting bored with reading about it.  If you don't know a lot about this time, Stone's book can give a perspective from one who was an older participant in the counterculture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment